Contact

Name

Email *

Message *

Monday, March 30, 2020

Why I photograph birds ?


Ever since I have taken to photography, I never questioned myself about my growing passion for this form of expression, but now the more I go out to make images of birds the more I question myself for trying to be more with birds to observe their behavior and body language. Although still I can’t identify most of the birds from their respective call and body shape, as most birders do, yet their chirps and actions fascinate me, make me follow them, admire and capture their beauty with my camera. I wish if I could respond to their calls and understand their communication skills and get reply to my simple question, why I photograph them.
When I put the same question to a few birders, who also photograph birds, a few of them too had same question lurking in their unconscious minds, but the reply was like “the show must go on”. Perhaps, like me most of them too had have no conscious intention. They simply enjoy the thrill of watching and photographing birds.
My question becomes more relevant when I look back to the days when I took to photography seriously and my images began to make a mark at international level. However at times I do compare bird photography with another challenging genre of photojournalism, my favourite. When I took up journalism as my career, those were the days when bosses in media houses used to assign crime beat  to the new comers because that enables them to be more alert and quick, inquisitive  and work in inhospitable conditions, test their own potential, learn investigation skills and more about different aspects of their profession. When I took to bird photography a bit seriously, in my early sixties and that too after suffering a stroke, it was evidently clear to me that I would be stepping in a challenging arena where I would have to grasp in dark and may find it difficult to satisfy my desire to keep moving and exploring this new world of birds. Soon I realized that bird photography is not easy, especially if you go beyond making only record shots to get the  species identified.  It is best learned over time, slowly and in stages. Indeed, there’s no substitute for starting out as a dedicated birder, learn to find pleasure from being in the company of birds. I was aware that I would have to follow a two pronged strategy aimed at acquiring information about a variety of birds, their species and behavior on one hand and on the other emphasis would have to be laid on upgrading my photography equipment and skill. Thanks to the Chandigarh Bird Club (CBC) for helping me in realising my aspirations despite my initial inhibition and limitations. In my heart of hearts I am more thankful to the one who introduced me to bird photography and more so to the guiding spirit who kept motivating me to dispel my inhibitions and continue to be a part of the CBC. Its like getting wings and learn in the company of some of the seasoned  birders.
I strongly believe that we all learn from each other and we must share our knowledge. To me, like photography, birding is also a stress buster, enhances alertness and the sense of patience. It’s a known fact that birds have inspired many scientists to gift remarkable inventions to the humanity. But the reply to my question does not lie wholly in the scientific aspects of birds.
I am aware that bird photography has many technical challenges. Its necessary to understand the equipment, make the complex calculations  promptly to adjust the critical parameters, anticipate behavior of birds and be prepared for surprises which may either be rewarding or disgusting.
Those bird photographers who, like me, live in urban areas, would agree that we pay the price as we  have to go outskirts to see and photograph birds. But still we are lucky for being able to visit some of the near  by birding hot spots and be a part of the universally accepted birding activities. Such activities may these be in a group or for an individual, can’t yield desired results if we are in a hurry. I have observed that we must acknowledge the priorities of birds, their rules and ways of going about things. Like a photojournalist or a sports photographer, we must do home-work before encountering a particular situation or an assignment. I have learnt to go well prepared not only with the equipment, but also with adequate knowledge of how these species behave and what are their likes and dislikes. Moving with care and sensitivity is something that many birders enjoy. Also, it forces us out of our usual habits and routines.
Many non-birders assume that bird photography requires a lot of patience. In my opinion spending time with birds is an inherently rich and rewarding experience, but at times it can get uncomfortable. What non-birders don’t seem to get is that when our senses are attuned to birds and the natural environment there are few dull and monotonous  moments. At times we are fully engrossed in following, tracking and monitoring what’s happening around. In case, after making a few trips to photograph birds, I begin to feel some pressure and need respite from monotonous routine, I give a break to myself  so that I continue to photograph birds with an added zeal. This period of break enables me to introspect  and understand what good or bad I had committed in my birding trips.
While photographing birds, at times, I try to interact with them, especially when I find one posing for a photograph or giving me enough time to be photographed. Its similar to the  interaction we are advised to make with a human being while making a portrait. Such  one-to-one interaction, a bit of murmur,  gives time to observe, admire beauty and refine technical adjustments. Its also about the profound respect that I have for these beautiful   creatures. It makes me optimistic   that they will not disappoint me.
To me, bird photography is not really about the subjects at all, rather, it’s ‘all about how I make images of birds, my intent and yearning for bird photography. I avoid to envy even those who while shooting in a group try to keep me at a distance fearing my image would be similar to theirs. My  primary focus is on accumulation  of tokens of self-worth and this seems the reply to my question.
-Subhash Sapru
Hon. EUSPA., APSA,PPSA,AIIPC

No comments: